Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Study Tips For Nursing Students Who Have a Heck Of A Lot To Learn






IDEA


Make Quizzes

This helps you think like an NCLEX exam maker! Really good way to get information in your head. What might you ask if YOU were the teacher?
Mnemonics


Excellent way to make things stick. Make up funny sentences for the info you have to remember. I have a friend who actually made memes based on his mnemonics
Quiz each other

Get the book out and go through the chapter.
Use previous study sheets

You know, you can use the fluids and electrolytes sheets you made in FON for AH1, Peds and AH2
Use Microsoft paint

You can make some color-coded stuff and concept maps on this program
Make concept maps

Group that information on one page in simplified terms
Change position

Do not always study sitting down, walk around the block, study while exercising, use an under the table exerciser (yeah they exist)
Youtube videos

Take a break from reading. I also set up a computer near the bathroom so I could just listen when I took a bath. You’ll see that my bathroom was a great study area
Write on the bathroom mirror

Write basic info like lab values on the mirror or a window with dry erase marker
Use bath crayons

I did this when my kids were learning multiplication tables, but it works for dosages, too
Laminate posters

I made posters with basic info and studied them in the bath (I was a very clean and well-educated nursing student)
Download NCLEX quizzes on your phone

There are tons of question apps
Poster boards around the house

Same concept as the bath posters but elsewhere. I had one stuck to my bookshelf that I read every night before I fell asleep
Read stuff into your iPod

I would read sections of the chapter or notes into my iPod and listen on that ½ hour drive to school. Great right before an exam
Re-listen to the old lectures

I once did this waiting four hours for a delayed plane at the airport
Use extra time

I always had a study book in my car and used in during carpool time or in the DMV waiting to renew my license
Make charts

Easy to do and color code. Especially important for drugs
Color code things

Sometimes I would remember stuff just because I had written it in green on a page
Flash cards

Don’t discount the old-fashioned ways
Powerpoints

Make your own presentations as if you have to teach it to someone else
Make your own you tube video

Yes, I actually did this
Write a blog

Just kidding, that’s MY job J
Make up a song

If you can sing, if not-maybe not. No, this is a cool idea to remember lab values etc. Doesn’t have to be complicated.
Learn the basics really well

!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment